Beginners Navigation Course (NNAS BRONZE AWARD)
The Bronze National Navigation Award is a practical award aimed at people with no navigation experience.
IS IT FOR ME?
The Award teaches navigation using paths tracks and other linear features including basic map interpretation and compass work. The course is ran over 2 days and includes an assessment on the second day.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Navigation using a variety of maps and scales.
Use of 4 and 6 figure grid references with worded descriptions to define the position of a map feature and to locate a feature on the ground.
Orientate the map using handrails, obvious features, and major landforms.
Use linear features (e.g. paths, tracks, clear boundaries) as handrails for navigation.
Relate prominent landforms such as large hills and valleys to corresponding contour information on the map.
Orientate the map by aligning a compass needle against grid north.
Use an orientated map to confirm the direction of travel.
Use clearly identifiable features to confirm positions along the route and to recognise when the target has been missed.
Measure distance on the map and estimate distance on the ground using timing, pacing and visual judgements
Plan and implement simple routes and navigation strategies.
Recognise a navigation error and apply simple relocation techniques.
This is a real ‘hands-on’navigation course over 2 days with an assessment to the National Navigation Award Scheme syllabus.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Suitable footwear (Boots with ankle support)
- Suitable outdoor clothing for walking (base layer, mid layer and warmth layer etc.)
- Waterproofs (jacket and trousers)
- Spare warmth layer(s)
- Hat and gloves
- Lunch/snacks for 2 days walking
- Drink (minimum 1 litre bottle)
- Backpack to carry everything in
- Suntan lotion
None. This course is aimed at beginners
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Qualified NNAS navigation tutor
- All maps and training aids
- Loan of a compass
- Certificate on successful completion of the assessment
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Travel to and from the course venue
- Meals etc. during the course