Beginners Navigation Course (NNAS BRONZE AWARD)
The Bronze National Navigation Award is a practical award aimed at people with no navigation experience.
IS IT FOR ME?
The course teaches navigation using paths tracks and linear features including basic map interpretation and compass work. The course is ran over 2 days and includes an assessment on the second day.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Navigation using a variety of maps and scales.
Use of 4 and 6 figure grid references and worded descriptions to define your position.
Orientate the map using handrails, features and landforms.
Use of linear features (e.g. paths, tracks, boundaries etc.) as navigational aids.
Relate prominent landforms to contour information on the map.
Orientate the map using a compass.
Methods to confirm the direction of travel.
Use identifiable features to confirm positions along the route and to recognise when the target has been missed.
Measure distance on the map and estimate distance on the ground
Plan and implement routes and navigation strategies.
Recognise a navigation error and apply simple relocation techniques.
A practical course delivered over 2 days with an assessment to the National Navigation Award Scheme syllabus.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Suitable footwear (Boots with ankle support)
- Suitable outdoor clothing for walking (base layer, mid layer and warmth layer etc.)
- Waterproofs (jacket and trousers)
- Spare warmth layer(s)
- Hat and gloves
- Lunch/snacks for 2 days walking
- Drink (minimum 1 litre bottle)
- Backpack to carry everything in
- Suntan lotion
None. This course is aimed at beginners
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Qualified NNAS navigation tutor
- All maps and training aids
- Loan of a compass
- Certificate on successful completion of the assessment
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Travel to and from the course venue
- Meals etc. during the course