Navigation Fundamentals – The Short Sessions
WHAT IS THE COURSE ABOUT?
Our popular 3-hour navigation course is back for 2021.
This course is ideal for anyone who wants a short 3-hour introduction to navigation and is designed to introduce you to the fundamental skills. As part of the 3 hour course you will have plenty of time to practice and we will aim to cover the following;
- Map types, scales and what information is important
- Compass – i.e. which compass should I use?
- How to orientate a map
- How to keep your position on the map
- How to measure distances on the map and estimate that distance on the ground.
- How to follow a navigation leg (your route)
- Navigation strategies including how to recognise where you are and when you have missed your target
- Introduction to contours
- Compass skills such as rough bearings and bearings.
- Grid references
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR:
Anyone who wants to learn or refresh the basic skills
HOW LONG IS THE COURSE:
This course is held at dedicated orienteering course on Merseyside (Formby)
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Qualified, insured and first aid trained navigation tutor/event leader
- Use of all training equipment such as compasses, maps and other training aids etc.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING?
- Suitable footwear i.e. walking boots or trekking trainers etc. (no sports trainers)
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Suitable clothing (we suggest base-layer, mid layer and warmth layer)
- Spare warmth layer (the course is outdoors for the 3 hours in all weathers)
- Hat and Gloves
- Drink and some snacks
- Note pad and pen
2021 DATES AVAILABLE:
- 24th July (Guaranteed to run)
- 25th July
- 15th August
- 22nd August
- 5th September
- 3rd October
- 28th November
- All courses start at 09:00am (exact time will be confirmed with the booking)
- Parking is available on site for approximately £8 for the day. However, the site can be accessed using public transport including a train station a short walk away.
- National Trust Members can park on site for free as part of their membership
- Please arrive early if driving as car parking spaces can go quickly.