Beginners Navigation Skills
This 1 day introduction/Beginners navigation skills is aimed at people who are inquisitive but unsure about navigating for themselves or would like to learn the basics before attending a more intensive multi-day course. An ideal introduction for those with little or no navigation experience.
By the end of the day you will be more confident in your ability to plan and undertake your own walks.
The aim of the day is to introduce you to the basic theory of maps, scales, symbols and grid references, we’ll go for a walk and look at how to follow a route, set the map to follow features, consider the use of a compass and introduce you to contour interpretation for a greater understanding of mountain navigation.
This is a highly practical course and you will be outside for the duration.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Qualified Navigation tutor and Mountain Leader
- All training aids
- Loan of a compass
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Walking boots
- Suitable clothes for a day outside (base-layer, mid-layer and warmth layer)
- Waterproofs (jacket and trousers)
- Lunch, Snacks and Drink (minimum 1 litre)
- Spare warmth layer (i.e fleece or jacket)
- Hat and gloves
- Head Torch
The introduction course operates at the following venues. Please check the side bar for the next available course and location.
- The Lake District National Park
- Snowdonia National Park